Filters/Censorship

Stephanie Kraus krauss at crisny.org
Thu Apr 24 15:30:40 EDT 1997

I am glad to hear that there is more than one opinion out there regarding
the use of filters- I was beginning to wonder if all librarians were robots
with the exact same thoughts. I know that it can be unpopular to come down
on the side of using filters but if we truly think about this controversy
with some commonsense we might not get so outraged about it.  There are so
many other factors to keep in mind like community sensibilities (for public
libraries) and the out and out blantant pornography that exists out on the
Internet that we would never purchase in book or video format for our
libraries.  With books we can open them up and look at them and see what is
inside with the Internet we cannot see or even predict what is coming into
our libraries.

How about a compromise?  What if we have filters on the Public Access
Internet stations but we take the filter off if a patron requests it?  With
SurfWatch all this requires is a mouse click and a password.  At least now
we are providing people with the tools to block pornography IF THEY CHOOSE!
How can this be unconstitutional?  The majority of the patrons I have talked
to have commented how they don't care if SurfWatch is on the Internet
Station and they are comfortable with having there AND asking us to turn off
if they so desire.

This is not an all or nothing situation.  We can compromise and still
protect ourselves both from pornography and infringing on people's first
amendment rights.

Stephanie Kraus
Outreach and Internet Services Librarian