Internal Revenue Service/AltaVista

Miriam Bobkoff mbobkoff at ci.santa-fe.nm.us
Wed Apr 23 22:35:18 EDT 1997

At 07:39 AM 4/22/97 -0700, Laura Cohen wrote:
>I see the problem here. But your search was not a good one, and indicative
>of the common mistakes people make
[snip]
>	+title:"Internal Revenue Service" +url:irs

I don't think the point is that an experienced and thorough searcher could
constrain a search so as to get only what they want, especially after their
more casual search make it clear how to rewrite the query. The "common
mistakes people make" are commonly made--by the very people who are the
users of our systems, and by many staff as well. It's what people _do_, how
they think to search-- and that's why the manipulators can reasonably count
on manipulating the results lists when they write their pages.

Miriam Bobkoff
Santa Fe Public Library
    catalog now on the web! yaay! http://catalog.ci.santa-fe.nm.us