"Filtering the First Amendment"

Bo Simons bo at sonoma.lib.ca.us
Wed Apr 23 14:27:34 EDT 1997

In addition to the above piece, there is another web-based legal opinion
on filtering and blocking software in a library setting.  It is titled:
"Purchase of Blocking Software by Public Libraries is Unconstitutional,"
and it is by Jonathan D. Wallace, Esq., and is available at:

http://www.spectacle.org/cs/library.html

Wallace is described in the prefatory material, by himself I presume, to
be a New York City-based attorney, author and free speech advocate."  He
states more emphatically than does Mary Minow in her backgroud paper
that use of blocking software in a public library setting is
unconsitutiional.  Wallace's piece is part of materials our Library
Director here got as background in preparation for a workshop in San
Diego on filtering and other issues for public library directors
sponsored by the California State Library.

--
Bo Simons		bo at sonoma.lib.ca.us		Third and E Streets
Internet Librarian					Santa Rosa, CA 95404