IRS & Sex

Sara Brownmiller snb at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue Apr 22 10:54:43 EDT 1997

This does not just happen in Alta Vista.  The other day I was preparing a
presentation for a class in feminist theory.  One of the topics they had
expressed interest in was the decline of girls' interest in science and
math as they move into adolescence.  I did what I thought was a simple
search on "girls and science" in HotBot.  Quite a few pages were retrieved
about erotic stories, chat services, some with pictures of nude women,
etc. Some of the pages had "science fiction" in the meta keyword tags,
some were packed with innocuous words like science, philosophy, business,
women, girls, etc. hidden with black text on a black background.

This turned out to be a very interesting example to use in a feminist
theory class.

Sara Brownmiller			snb at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Systems Librarian			541/346-2368
University of Oregon Library		541/346-3485 (fax)
Eugene, OR  97403-1299