Changing images on a page

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Tue Apr 22 09:19:31 EDT 1997

I'm forwarding this message for a colleague who doesn't subscribe to this
list. One of the problems we have at our library is that we haven't locked
down Netscape as tightly as we should. I thought maybe someone out there
could provide some clues:

Hello,
I run the Funding Information Center, a collection located within Memorial
Library. Recently we have had a troublemaking patron who has taken to
changing the Netscape settings on the pc in the Center. (The main problem
with this pc is that it is
located in a separate room that is not continually monitored by staff.) The
latest problem is perplexing to me. I am used to the changed wallpaper and
the changed "Home", but this time the evil patron acutally changed an icon
on the Funding Information Center's Homepage. This individual replaced the
Marquette Steeple logo icon at the bottom of the page to a flashing icon of
skantily clad "babes" (leading, I presume, to a page of these pictures). I
discovered this only by chance since I don't normally scroll all the way
down the page when I boot up this pc and launch Netscape. I realize that
this was not changed on the web server and that it was simply recalling
this from the hard drive cache, but how did the patron change this and save
it to the cache?? (In my panicked attempt to remove this from the page
before another patron saw it, I deleted the cache and reloaded the page
hoping that would get rid of it. But it has also made it difficult to track
how exactly it was done.) One other thing to note - we do have some
protection software on this pc - Winshield and Folderbolt. Thanks for any
insight you can share on this!
Kate McCready

Sheryl Dwinell
Cataloger/Database Management Librarian