Netscape tip--deltree

Cate Carr ccarr at VIPER.NAUTICOM.NET
Mon Apr 21 05:46:39 EDT 1997

Something to remember if you make deletion of tmp files automatic ...

I had a user call me trying to recover a document that she had been
working on when her computer (running Win 3.x) locked up forcing her
to reboot.  She couldn't figure out why the document was not
recoverable when she was using an autosave function to save every 10
minutes.

Much of the software running under Win 3.x save backup files in the
system temp directory but don't clean-up and delete the temporary
files when you exit.  Because of this our systems people chose to
include a delete command in the autoexec.bat to clean out the
temporary files.  When the user rebooted the locked up machine the
delete command deleted her document backup file along with all the
other temporary files.

Though I agree wholeheartedly with wiping out netscape/IE cache
files, I would be leary of indiscriminately deleting the temp
files along with them.  If you do it automatically you may lose a
needed backup when the system does fail!

Cate Carr  Presentation Graphics    ccarr at pitt.edu
           Dept. of Surgery         http://www.pitt.edu/~ccarr/
           Univ. of Pittsburgh      (412) 624-1426