Letter to the Editor

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sun Apr 20 10:26:45 EDT 1997

To: Editor, New York Times
Subject: Internet filters

Everyone wants a quick fix, but most Internet filtering software represents
an assault on intellectual freedom we can't afford ("Internet Access puts
burden of control on schools," 4/19/97).  Most of these packages, including
Cybersitter, Cyber Patrol, and Bess, not only "[block] potentially
informative sites," as your column notes, but prevent the software
installer, such as the teacher or librarian, from viewing or editing the
site and keyword lists used to determine what is blocked.  However you feel
about filtering the Internet, that is unacceptable.

Internet filtering companies try to reassure us that they know what's best
for us--but do we really want our choices handed over to commercial
entities with unknown interests and agendas?  My own initial assessment of
several of these packages, after a week of testing, is that they block
sites the typical New Yorker would not object to--including the words
"homosexual," press releases for Ellen DeGeneres, and an online support
group for breastfeeding.  These companies are quick to say that they have
feedback mechanisms for reviewing sites--but if they really know what's
good for us, why are these sites blocked in the first place?

The April 15 issue of Library Journal (also at http://www.ljdigital.com/)
notes that Guy Molinari may be pressuring the New York Public Library
system to use filtering software.  I suspect in some settings filtering, in
some form or another, may be inevitable--though primarily because these
software companies have conditioned us to believe that seeing controversial
or obscene websites will warp kids for life.  (Didn't Guy Molinari ever
peek at a naughty magazine in his youth?)  However, it is absolutely
critical that New Yorkers insist on a bottom line: New York's schools and
libraries must not use filtering tools that do not have viewable, editable
site lists.  Responsible adults--teachers, librarians, and concerned
citizens submitting freedom of information enquiries--have a right to this
information, and information providers have a right to modify it quickly
and without elaborate effort--after all, we've traditionally made these
decisions in other media, such as books and videos.  Don't turn teachers
and librarians into mindless gatekeepers, and don't use the tax dollars of
Jane and Joe New Yorker to take away their right to know what we're doing
on their behalf.

Karen G. Schneider
32 Lake Drive East
Wayne, New Jersey 07470

Karen G. Schneider * kgs at bluehighways.com * schneider.karen at epamail.epa.gov
Author, The Internet Access Cookbook (e-mail Neal-Schuman at icm.com)
Director, US EPA Region 2 Library | Contractor, Garcia Consulting
Cybrarian * Columnist, American Libraries
Visit our library at http://www.epa.gov/Region2/library/
These opinions strictly mine!