Netscape Gold editor

Earl Young eayoung at bna.com
Fri Apr 18 14:19:58 EDT 1997

     Netscape Gold is not freeware.  It is a part of their browser - which
     under some circumstances is free (if you get a beta version) but it is
     not freeware.  You get it as part of the evaluation.  The distinction
     may be of interest mostly to lawyers.

     The editor is not bad - but it isn't as good as HotMetal, for example.
      It does not handle frames (at least when I used the version in 3.0)
     and that is a major problem.  It also rearranges formatting in your
     HTML file.  I do a lot of tabbing and such to make the source code
     easier to read, and Gold steps all over that and does what it feels
     like with the white space.

     It's worth what it costs.  It is a good way to do some initial
     editing, and it is handy when you need to do something quick.  I would
     not use it to do serious Web page development.

     Earl Young