Outfilter the filterers

Dianne Harmon dharmon at starbase1.htls.lib.il.us
Tue Apr 15 17:43:49 EDT 1997

The following is one of the possibilities I'm considering for my public
library.  One of the patron choices will be unrestricted web access.
Other choices will vary depending on the topic and possibly age of the
user.  I think we could use this method to provide some "kid-friendly"
sites, keep some honestly concerned parents happy and still not restrict
anyone from anything.  I also think there are some definite staff training
possibilities with this.

Hopefully this will be possible soon.

> It seems to me that what you're suggesting makes sense: a library delivering
> selected content through Internet protocols. Some sort of Very Wide Intranet
> system, effectively. My only issue with it is a semantic one: I don't think
> this library can claim to be offering "Internet access" without qualifying that
> name. I'd say this isn't an "Internet workstation"; it's a "Geography
> workstation" that happens to have an Internet connection. And come to think of
> it, that sounds like a darn good idea... as long as you label it well enough
> that you don't have to tell every other patron why they can't get to their
> favorite non-geographical site. (And at this point, you need a filter strong
> enough that it really does lock out _all_ non-selected information.) Actually,
> this poses a really interesting use of filter technology. Selecting what _to_
> deliver is a substantially different job than selecting what _not to_ deliver.
> If you have the money and time to take it that far, I think it gets you past a
> lot of problems, particularly in academic or special libraries.
>
> -Joe Murphy            "Sometimes you just have to look reality in the face
> murphyj at cua.edu         and deny it."
>                            -- Garrison Keillor

Dianne Harmon
Joliet Public Library