PICS

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Mon Apr 14 17:17:51 EDT 1997

Timothy G. Kambitsch said:

I've been reading this thread and all the related threads on this issue
for months.  What I have haven't read is much discussion of PICS standard
self-rating efforts. For those unfamiliar with PICS I would suggest you
start your reading at:

        http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/PICS/

     Good suggestion!

Before there is a flood of messages stating that PICS doesn't work because
nobody uses it, I would ask you to take a few moments and ask yourself
"Have I rated my own site?"

     No, and I recommend that you don't.

It take less than five minutes to add a metadata tag to your welcome page
and indicate that the scope of this rating if for your site or set of
pages.  PICS doesn't prescribe a rating scheme, but only outlines a
specification for allowing communities to come up with their own.  If
you abhor the proprietary CyberNOT <http://www.microsys.com> approach,
then you could use SafeSurf's <http://www.safesurf.com/> rating scheme or
Recreational Software Advisory Council's <http://www.rsac.org> rating
scheme.  If these are unsatisfactory you could develop your own.

     How about not jumping on this mindless avalanche and just saying nyet?
     What happend if we all jump on this bandwagon and some government
     mandates that all web sites must be rated? Sound like an infringement
     of freedom to me.

In MSIE you can enable PICS and allow users access to unrated sites
(unfortunately 98% of the http://www.hot100.com Hot 100 adult sites are not
rated.)

     Hurray! Just shows the stupidity of ratings. When are these Puritans
     (tm) going to realize that sex is a legitimate part of our society?

Alternatively, you could allow users access only to rated sites at the
rating level you select. Unfortunately in excess of 98+% of the valuable
web sites I've tested have no self rating (including commercial products
like Ebsco Host and SIRS.) The last time I checked the Internet Public
Library didn't
rate itself.

     You? Who's going to be doing this deciding? Why does anybody care if
     the Internet Public Library is rated? Kudos to the IPL.

So clearly PICS isn't a workable solution in either case unless you use a
third party rating service like CyberPatrol.

     ...and are required by pinhead mayors to do so. Do you see what I'm
     driving at? Any "voluntary" ratings standard for CONTENT will become
     mandatory in this political climate. People want to stop views they
     disagree with. We haven't evolved yet as a species to respect freedom
     of speech and the critical thinking skills that go with.

Here in Ohio there is draft legislation in the upcoming state budget
that would require blocking software at the state level in an attempt to
ensure that no materials which are "harmful to minors" are accessible
from library computers (pretty scarey, huh?)  If required, I would much
rather employ a voluntary mechanism that allows content providers to
decide on the appropriate audience than place my users at the whim
of a proprietary database.

     Shocking, yes. That's why some of us are shocked to hear about
     librarians collaborating with censorware companies. What happens when
     the propietary database is used by thousands of computers? Who at the
     software company decides what to cyber-not? What if some government
     decides that abortion information is not part of a community standard
     and asks the database maintainer to screen out birth control sites?

If there is going to be a library-community initiative, I would much
rather you take the time to rate your own site, get the webmasters at sites
you link to rate their sites. While your at it, send a note to Netscape
to incorporates PICS support.

     Wait, if you are scared about the Ohio situation, why are you
     advocating this?

     Chuck Munson