Some random thoughts about "push" technologies

Terry Kuny Terry.Kuny at xist.com
Wed Apr 9 18:14:15 EDT 1997

Some random thoughts about "push" technologies:

1. This is not new stuff. The principle of "active" delivery
of information to the desktop through a client-server
application has been around almost since Day 1 of the
Internet in the form of mailing lists. The principles
at work are the same EXCEPT that the new "push" technology companies
are also interested in "pushing" new client/server applications
and advertising. So the only real change is how to make $ off
all of this...

2. I can't imagine libraries investing heavily in this technology.
I would like to see where the return on investment would warrant
this particular delivery mechanism over, for example, electronic
mailing lists. But I am willing to be wrong here, but it just
seems to me that libraries don't have a tremendous amount
of content suitable to effectively using this technology.

3. The big deal with "push", I believe, will be in how software
updates/assistance is delivered to users. This will be a BIG and
captive market. I can imagine every future software application
having an "update" button that automatically and
seamlessly (yeah, right!) connects to the software vendor
and downloads the last version to authorized users. When I
saw this in Pointcast, I thought this was *much* cooler than
the usual blahblahblah news channels, which I don't have
time to read anyway, no matter well filtered it is!

But getting software updates and information automatically
- this is very COOL. (Confession: I got rid of PointCast, ostensibly
because of conflicts with NT 3.51, but really because it
was causing me unwarranted and unnecessary information anxiety...)

4. I am surprised that no one in the scientific and technical
publishing communities has jumped on "push" technology.

For example, I can see this being a great mechanism for delivering
information like "Current Contents" or to provide
regular updates in particular disciplines. I can easily
imagine companies like ISI providing hot articles of the
day based on citation frequencies, organized into the
appropriate channels.

Similarly, database companies like DIALOG could be creative
in developing new products/services like having channels
which deliver the most requested articles in particular databases
automatically. They would manage all the rights information
and allow subscribers to get access, automatically to whatever
is "hot".

5. Libraries and academic communities might work with some
of these sources of information in the development phase and
in providing the licensing arrangements for the service.

I can imagine a major academic libraries being responsible
for managing "push" licenses much like we currently manage
CD-ROM or online licensing arrangements. More fodder
for the lawyers... <sigh>

6. I can see "community push networks" evolving where
libraries are one channel of information. On this channel,
the local library might regularly send information - much
as they would to their "info at public-library.org" mailing list -
such as schedules, new release information, events, policies,
etc. etc. etc. All the usual stuff that libraries might
want to tell their patrons. But probably nothing that requires
copyright clearances or breaches licensing arrangements...
Other community channels might be city hall, police, fire, hospital -
any local agency that has general information for the public
that they want to regularly update interested parties about.
I think alot more thinking can go into this possibility...

-terry

Mr. Terry Kuny                  Phone: 819-776-6602
XIST Inc./                      Email: terry.kuny at xist.com
Global Village Research         URL:   http://xist.com/kuny/

Snail: Box 1141, St. B, Hull, Quebec, Canada