Kids Accessing Forbidden sites

Steve Hooley! hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Wed Apr 9 09:56:34 EDT 1997

        As I labored o'er an ailing computer in the Library, I spotted the
tell-tale signs of kids visiting a forbidden website: there were four of
them at one monitor, they were giggling and elbowing each other, and the
printer begasn to whir. I had to go around them to reach a connection, and
peeked to see what despicable sex acts they were viewing (ahem, out of
professional interest, i mean, er).
        The brats were at the "Heaven's Gate" website, snickering at the
comet photos and the predictions of doom. Having been forbidden to access
it, they came to the library to get their info, like well-informed persons
everywhere should. My mind turned to our ongoing discussion of web porn.....
        1. Is 'Heaven's Gate' porno? The kids seemed to react similarly.
Maybe due to parental reaction?
        2. Is it dangerous? Everyone's heard about it by now. The message is
out, and it seems pretty dumb.

        Also, one of our students has defiantly mirrored the site on his
homepage because he heard the FBI was closing it down. Gee, and I thought
_I_ was strange.

|   Stephen S. Hooley         |  Statesboro Ga
|  Romulan Tech Assistant     |  Home of the
|    Henderson Library        |  Statesboro
|"It's Only a Job Description"|  Blues
| Georgia Southern University |