Heaven's Gate (author unknown)

Tom Tipsword TOM at wilbur.db.erau.edu
Fri Apr 4 10:51:41 EST 1997

I see two errors in the exchange below:

A) Mr. Burt has mistaken web4lib for a technically oriented list
where such humor is both common and usually appreciated

-- and --

B) Mr. Violette has assumed that his personal emotional sensitivities
should govern public discourse.

I sincerely hope that this doesn't start another one of those
seemingly interminable threads passionately debating issues or
strawmen (take your pick).  I, for one, have grown rather weary of
theoretical discussions and am much more interested in actually DOING
something with the web.

I wonder whether, given the direction web4lib has taken, there is a
need for a list for those involved on the more technical side of
webbery in and for libraries?   With, oh say, the ability to
accurately report the version of web server software used at your
institution as the criterion for posting.....

TNT

the web software

> Burt, David wrote:
>
> > RANCHO SANTA FE, CALIFORNIA, APRIL 1 -
> > The 39 men and women found dead after an apparent mass suicide
> > were evidently web developers who were despondent about the
> > delayed release of Microsoft Corporation's Internet Explorer 4.0
> > web browser.
>
> Whether this is an April Fool's Joke or another example of how low
> Microsoft is willing to stoop to market its products, its taste is,
> to say the least, questionable.
>
> Sorry if I sound like a killjoy, but I have had a taste of the
> emotional devastation wrought by suicide, and by cults, in my own
> family, and I can assure you they are no joke.
>
> /s/ Rich.V.
>
> --
> Richard J. Violette    | 1200 Court House           | "He chose to
> be Catalog Librarian I    | Boston MA 02108            | rich, by
> making Social Law Library     | Vox: (617) 523-0018, x318  | his
> wants few." rviolett at socialaw.com  | Fax: (617) 523-2458        |
>    --Emerson
Tom Tipsword
Systems Manager, Hunt Memorial Library      vox:  904-226-6601
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University        fax:  904-226-6368
Daytona Beach, FL 32114

http://amelia.db.erau.edu/~tom/     tom at wilbur.db.erau.edu

"Books, like certain gems, can be fragile despite their great density and weight." -- John Crowley.