WEB4LIB digest 582

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue Apr 1 22:24:15 EST 1997

<webguru at gtu.edu> writes:

>>I sure hope we'll have no further discussion of the the ISSUE
>>of Heaven's Gate on this list.
  . . .
>Yes but what about a copyright issue?

I believe the original site includes an explicit permission statement
allowing noncommercial copying with a few additional restrictions (citing
"common law copyright"! Shades of the freemen.).  Based on this permission
several newspapers have copied the site to allow access since the original
site was overloaded by curiosity seekers.  Even if the heirs of the
Heaven's Gate authors (if such are ever determined) decide to disallow
copying in the future such restrictions would not, of course, apply
retroactively.

JQ Johnson                         office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator     voice: 541.346.1746
1299 University of Oregon          fax: 541.346.3485
Eugene, OR 97403-1299              jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu