Print Screen key revived

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Apr 16 14:58:27 EDT 1997

>From: Karen Perone <kperone at roc.rodman.lib.oh.us>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
>Date: Wednesday, April 16, 1997 2:36 PM
>Subject: Print Screen key revived

>In the April 22, 1997 issue of PC Magazine, a utility called PrintNow is
>featured in the PC Tech section. It brings back the printing capability
>(to a printer, not just the clipboard) of the Print Screen key to
>Windows 95. This could prove useful when only a portion of a web page is
>needed since Netscape doesn't allow printing of a selection of text. It
>offers a full screen print (shift-print screen) or a print of the active
>window (alt-print screen).
>
>You can download the file and find out more about it from the PC Magazine
>utilities download page at http://www.pcmag.com/download/utils/pntnow-a.htm
 or
>directly from ftp://ftp.zdnet.com/pcmag/1997/0422/v16n08.zip
>--

I was under the impression that this utility printed your screen as a
bitmapped image.  Depending on your setup, this could take a lot longer
than printing a multi-page article from Netscape's print command.

FWIW, the platform preview of MSIE 4 supports printing selected text.  I'd
be moderately suprised if it wasn't in the final 4.0 release (if not the
next beta) of both Communicator and MSIE.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu