Dublin Core Metadata System

Keith Shafer shafer at oclc.org
Fri Apr 11 08:53:28 EDT 1997

These "bad" subject assignments come from Scorpion
    <URL:http://purl.oclc.org/scorpion>

Scorpion is not the focus of Eric's metadata service.  Scorpion
assigned subjects were just added to show that maybe, someday, there
will be a tool that can automatically assign controlled subjects like
librarians do now.

There are reasons why Scorpion returned the subjects it did as opposed
to the ones you might expect.  Understanding this is part of our
ongoing research.  Sometimes, it appears to be because we as humans
have a different idea about what a page is about, even when the text
on the page seems to indicate something else.  For instance, the Cows
page has a lot of text on it not related to agriculture.  (BTW -
Scorpion asigns more subjects to a page than those that Eric returned
and Agriculture does appear for the Cows page in a normal Scorpion
output. But, now I digress...)

Thanks for the pointers to pages that Scorpion fails to classify
properly.  While we will look at these to try to improve Scorpion, I
hope that this does not cloud the issue of promoting Dublin Core and
related metadata work that Eric meant to start by building a prototype
service.

Keith.  (Scorpion project manager)
------
Senior Research Scientist                 | http://purl.org/keith
OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc. | shafer at oclc.org
6565 Frantz Road, Dublin, Ohio 43017-3395 | 614-761-5049