Year 2000 check for your PCs

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Apr 7 22:17:06 EDT 1997

> Anyone have experience with this software, is it dependable, etc. My
> 486, for example, fails 2 of the 4 tests: "#1 Real Time Clock Rollover
> Test," and "#4 Non-Leap Year 2001 Test." Meaning??? Quien sabe?"

Did it really say non-leap year 2001?  Or possibly non-leap year 2000?  (or
2100?)

Leap years are those years whose numbers are divisible by 4, unless they're
also divisible by a hundred, unless unless they're also also divisible by
400.  In other words, the years 1996, 1948, and 1904 were leap years
(duh!); the years 1800, 1900, and 2100 are not leap years; but the years
1600 and 2000 are leap years.  It's quite conceivable that a PC clock might
only be programmed through the first two rules, incorrectly making 2000 a
non-leap year.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu