Communicator PR3 is out

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Apr 7 10:04:31 EDT 1997

There is no joy in Redmond--PR3 is out first.

FYI, Netscape Communicator Preview Release 3 is out.  Support for cascading
style sheets is substantially improved over PR2 (like it could get any
worse?), they're using Symantec's just-in-time Java compiler, and of course
they couldn't resist adding a few more proprietary tags.  "Enhanced" kiosk
mode still lets me got to any URL, print, and open a Win95 Open File dialog
box, so I don't know what they've enhanced.  Best little bonuses I've
noticed so far: there's a command to increase or decrease font size on the
fly (inspired by You Know Who), and when I tell it not to check if it's the
default browser on startup, it really doesn't check.  Worst new feature:
when you set your fonts, the drop down list renders every font name in that
font.  If you're overstocked on fonts, don't expect your system to respond
for a minute or two.

On the whole, it's fast and stable on my machine, although I didn't have
any problems with the first two betas.  I do not use Communicator's other
modules, so I'll let others comment on them.

Thomas Dowling
Ohio Library and Information Network
tdowling at ohiolink.edu