Warning.... warning....

David King dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu
Fri Apr 4 01:15:32 EST 1997

>Story 1... a client of mine (against my better judgement) bought a Toshiba
>Laptop at Best Buy. She asked me to install her PCMCIA card and get her
>hooked up to the Internet. Anyway that was the beginning of the nightmare.
>Needless to say, I got it to work, but when she installed a few games, the
>system started crashing. Anyway, somehow all the system files got corrupted
>and now it all has to get installed. Rather than paying someone to fix a
>computer that never worked from day one, she figured she would return it.
>THEY WOULD NOT TAKE IT BACK... Why, you ask? Well it had been more than 14
>days and their policy is no returns after 14 days. There was no moving them.

So... what's the problem? They have a clear policy. The person probably
installed the games wrong, and should have called the respective software
companies for help.

>Story 2... another client just got a new/used computer with Windows '95
>installed on it. She was having problems from day one, the computer was not
>bought at Best Buy, but Windows '95 was purchased there. I figured out it
>was acting like a virus and scanned it and sure enough found it.

Similar - the person should have contacted Microsoft, since they had purchased
and (hopefully) registered their copy.

Don't blame a store for something that's not their fault...

Anyway - what's this got to do with Web for libraries...

David King
Electronic Services Librarian
University of Southern Mississippi
dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu