Warning.... warning....

Ashima Saigal asaig at hopper.com
Thu Apr 3 21:03:25 EST 1997

Hello, this is going to Web4Lib and Nettrain (since I monitor these lists
mostly). Anyway, I have two terrible stories I feel compelled to share with
the Internet community, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO SHARE THEM WITH EVERYONE, I
ENCOURAGE YOU. These are absolutely true, nothing has been fabricated.

The short of the stories is that Best Buy has *the* worst customer relations
and service.

Story 1... a client of mine (against my better judgement) bought a Toshiba
Laptop at Best Buy. She asked me to install her PCMCIA card and get her
hooked up to the Internet. Anyway that was the beginning of the nightmare.
Needless to say, I got it to work, but when she installed a few games, the
system started crashing. Anyway, somehow all the system files got corrupted
and now it all has to get installed. Rather than paying someone to fix a
computer that never worked from day one, she figured she would return it.
THEY WOULD NOT TAKE IT BACK... Why, you ask? Well it had been more than 14
days and their policy is no returns after 14 days. There was no moving them.

Story 2... another client just got a new/used computer with Windows '95
installed on it. She was having problems from day one, the computer was not
bought at Best Buy, but Windows '95 was purchased there. I figured out it
was acting like a virus and scanned it and sure enough found it. Did a clean
reboot, cleaned it off, and began looking for the culprit. The virus was
found on 9 of the 13 Windows '95 diskettes bought at Best Buy. I figured,
they have to at least exchange these for new ones. When we got there, they
checked out the diskettes and said "Yes, there is a virus on them, but we
cannot exchange them because of copyright laws." No budge again. This time I
was furious and told them that I would *never* purchase another product from
them again and would tell everyone I could about the customer "dis-service"
they provide.

I just wanted to send out this warning. I don't normally do this, since most
of my boycotts are personal, but this time, I am really furious and I wanted
to make sure no one else gets screwed!

Please heed my warning and if you have any stories you would like to share
about Best Buy, please send them to me as I am getting in touch with the
Better Business Bureau as well as sending it to Best Buy's corporate
headquarters to their head customer  "dis-service" department.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Ashima Saigal
Ashima Saigal -- asaig at hopper.com
Hopper Business Solutions -- http://www.hopper.com
7510 Valhalla Drive
Alto, MI  49302
Phone - (616) 554-0007/ Fax - (616) 554-0218