Web Search Engine Needed for New NT Syst

Zeeman, Deane Zeeman.Deane at FIN.GC.CA
Thu Sep 26 11:31:08 EDT 1996

Try  removing the existing EMWAC's IIS but not the web data.  Once EMWAC's is removed you can just install Microsoft's IIS and point to the root directory where your web pages are.  Another issue that could be of concern that you should watch is your script files.  The IIS server will use NTFS security if you have it installed so you have to make sure you give the IIS defined user the proper permissions.  The one comment I will make is that the IIS is extremely easy to install and setup.  I don't know if version 2.0 of IIS will work with NT 3.51.

This info from Lennis Poupore (Informatics Services) WebGod at Finance Canada where the server started out as EMWAC and was migrated to IIS.

Deane Zeeman
Finance WebMaster
Library ervices
Department of Finance Canada
zeeman.deane at fin.gc.ca
___

From: Laura Guy
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Web Search Engine Needed for New NT System
Date: Thursday, September 26, 1996 9:33AM

Hi.

I've got a more basic problem now.  The IIS we use is the
free EMWAC version (.9xx).  Apparently none of the tools
(EXCITE, VERITY, TRIPOLI) work with it (WARNING!  WARNING!
DO _NOT_ USE EMWAC'S IIS!!!).

I'm going to have to upgrade our production site to either
MIIS 1.0 or MIIS 2.0 (rats).

Does anyone out there have any experience with this upgrade?

Do i have to nuke the current version of IIS and install from
scratch?

What are the diffs between MIIS 1.0 and 2.0?  This may seem like
a silly question but we're running NT 3.51 on the server and
it seems possible that 2.0 wont even run on 3.51..

ANY IDEAS???

thanks..

Laura Guy
DPLS