FirstSearch matters -specifically, the interface

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Thu Sep 26 09:16:45 EDT 1996

Overall, we don't  mind the interface so much, though based on its
rawness  it was apparently designed by the same folks who
designed Passport for Windows, a rustic
keyboard-mapping-roll-your-own crowd.   I'm particularly
amused by the huge graphics describing the databases that
nonethless don't LEAD to the databases--oooh nooo, you have to
click on a wee link above 'em.   (User testing?  From the folks
who brought you the MARC record?  Bwaa haa haa!)

 But we started using Explorer this week, as an alternative
browser, and Thomas D. is right--First Search is  a Netscaped tool
if I ever saw one.  Things jigged and jagged all over the screen.
It was usable, but those Netscapisms are really unnecessary.

K. Schneider/opinions mine alone
GCI/Region 2 Library, US EPA