Rural/Public Library "home page" proposals?

Rod Miller rmiller at wyld.carl.org
Wed Sep 25 15:37:45 EDT 1996

Here's a chance to preach about the web...

The Wyoming State library is offering any public library
in Wyoming free website hosting/maintenance on our
server. We even have a committee offering to develope
no-frills home pages for those freightened by HTML
(fill in the blank hardcopy form with a box to attach a
kodak snapshot of their building, staff, etc.).

Suprisingly, the (library directors) reponse has
been anything but expected ("sign me up."  "Make
it a dozen...").

Instead, the Executive Council put home page development
dead-last among its list of Library Automation services
and priorities. (we provide statewide library automation
services, via a min. 56KB TCP/IP network connection).

What our committee now needs are successful proposals
other libraries pitched to their directors/board/administration
to have a presence on the web.  I could easily
come up with a couple dozen "reasons" why they *should*
have a home page, but what is really needed is
external credibilty.

I have searched the web for too many hours and have stumbled
across a proposal here and there (mostly grant applications).
But haven't really found what I am looking for.

If you have written a proposal that said "our library
needs to have a presence on the web...for these reasons:"
please send the link or the document itself to me as soon
as possible (our state library conference begins next week).

All Wyoming Libraries have Windows/networked client PCs available
to the public, all are rural, and have limited budgets, resources,
etc.

If they can't think of the reasons, maybe you can offer your
own thoughts!

Thanks.

Rod Miller

P.S. I will summarize links and/or proposals on a webpage if I
receive a sufficient number of responses.

Rod Miller, Systems Librarian
Wyoming State Library
Cheyenne, Wyoming
82001