Internet research classes - thanks for all your help

Laura B. Cohen LCOHEN at cnsvax.albany.edu
Tue Sep 17 09:32:20 EDT 1996

I've also been lax in responding to this post! Here at the University
at Albany I teach "Conducting Internet Research with Netscape,"
as well as "Internet from the VAX Prompt." Many of the handouts,
plus more informational handouts relating to the former class,
may be found at http://www.albany.edu/library/nethelp.html.
The latter class covers such topics as FTP, listservs and Usenet,
and Telnetting to library catalogs.

One thing I make sure to do in the Internet Research class is teach
keyword searching and Boolean logic before we turn on the computers
in class. Then I can evaluate each research site that has a search
engine in relation to its search capabilities. I find this to be a
highly successful teaching strategy. I distribute Venn diagram examples
in class. Since one can only hit the highlights in a 90-minute class,
I think it's important to teach computer database search techniques
so that the students can generalize on their knowledge to sites
not covered in class.

Site evaluation is also covered throughout the class.  -- Laura Cohen

          Laura B. Cohen
          Network Services Librarian
          University Libraries UL-140
          University at Albany
          Albany, New York  12222          LCOHEN at CNSVAX.ALBANY.EDU