Trailing slash in URLs

Russ Jury jury at plains.nodak.edu
Mon Sep 16 17:51:18 EDT 1996

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Mary-Ellen Mort wrote:

------cut-------

> My non-technical understanding of this (and I'd love to know more about
> exactly why this is..) is that LYNX looks for the "/" at the end of a
> path name. Most servers are set up to read "jobsmart.org" as
> "jobsmart.org/index.htm"  LYNX, apparently, cannot. It sees
> "jobsmart.org" and says "can't find this file."

Interpretation/understanding of the trailing '/' is dependent solely upon
the http _server_.  Most servers will understand either, but some early
releases will not.  This is a problem that SHOULD be taken care of on the
server even if it is a little work - it is IMHO just part of good server
maintenance.

> You CAN fool around at the server level and correct this. But it's more
> time and trouble than my server is willing to invest for the graphically
> impoverished.

---cut---

Russ Jury
Information Technology