Is "www" desirable in we site URL?

Bob Duncan RD3776 at cnsvax.albany.edu
Fri Sep 13 14:25:28 EDT 1996

Folks:

> I'm not so sure you can always leave off "www" in the URL when
> you're using Netscape. (I'm on 3.0 for Windows 3.1).
>
> My university's home page is www.albany.edu. When I just point
> the browser to "albany.edu," I get to a forwarding page set up
> last year, pointing to the new university home page. I need to
> type "www.albany.edu" to get to the current page.
>
>   -- Laura Cohen

Regardless of whether "www" in URLs is desirable or not, its
presence does allow some typing shortcuts, but only (apparently)
in specific situations as mentioned by Bob Long and Gary Newhouse
in previous posts on this topic.  I don't think anyone ever
implied "www" could always be left off.

If a URL has the form http://www.whatever.com, the address can be
reached by typing in just the "whatever" part, e.g., all you need
to get to yahoo, is "yahoo."  This only works with addresses
containing the "www" *and* the "com", i.e., typing "whatever" will
not work if the address is http://greatplace.whatever.com or
http://www.whatever.edu.

Leaving off "http://" works for any address with "www", but you
still need the "www" itself and the rest of the address when you
key it in.

This works in Netscape 2.x+ on a PC (at least it did 10 minutes
ago when all of this was a new toy to me).  I can't vouch for any
other browsers or platforms.

Bob Duncan

  Robert E. Duncan
  School of Information Science and Policy
  SUNY - The University at Albany
  rd3776 at cnsvax.albany.edu
  bduncan at crocker.com
  http://www.crocker.com/~bduncan