Site Content Management and the info pro

George Jenkins gjenkins at hbs.edu
Fri Sep 13 10:34:43 EDT 1996

>Sender: web4lib at library.berkeley.edu
>From: "Alex Fayle" <alex_fayle at oma.org>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: Site Content Management and the info pro
>
>Alex said:
>
>     When it comes to managing content on Internet or Intranet sites, I
>     believe that it's important to talk to someone who understands the
>     organization, storage, and classification of information: IOW, a
>     librarian, or some similar information professional.
>
>     Often the development of Intranets and Internet sites are left to IS
>     departments. No offense to IS people, but Librarians don't know
>     hardware, necessarily, and IS people don't know content,
>     necessarily.

Having worked in several F 500 companies, in a marketing management or
product manager capacity; I can say that often *neither* IS or librarians
understand & participate in the strategic planning and managmeent of the
company.  Often, neither understand how the end user departments actually
use, or APPLY, the data in various applications (i.e.- market planning,
competitive analysis, financial forecasting, etc.).  This can impede BOTH
professions from effective information management, and linking intranets to
the strategic goals of the company.  The successful professinals I've seen,
take the ime to understand and to participate in the strategic planning and
management of the company.

Hence, you'll often see either or both professions reporting to a CIO (or
equivalent).

George

-----
Fall Library Workshops
http://library.hbs.edu/workshop
-----
George Jenkins                617.495.6837 (voice)
Business Information Analyst  617.496.3725 (fax)
Research Services             GJenkins at hbs.edu
Baker Library # 215           http://library.hbs.edu/
Harvard Business School       http://www.hbs.edu