Link Checker

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at mhv.net
Wed Sep 11 23:30:43 EDT 1996

Neil Jacobs wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> We've used Webwatch (http://www.specter.com/ww.1.x/products.html)
> to help maintain the Pier local University of Sussex gateway (3100 links at present -
> found at http://www.susx.ac.uk/library/pier/). As noted in an earlier message,
> Webwatch is well reviewed in the Ariadne newsletter
> (http://ukoln.bath.ac.uk/ariadne/issue3/autotrack/). It does seem to identify 'document
> moved' messages, although I think that the information has to be in the header of the
> page concerned for Webwatch to pick it up.
>
> The main problem with it (apart from it being limited to Windows) is that, as far as I
> can work out, it requires a single HTML file to check. Hence we have to concatenate the
> entire gateway into one file (using a DOS batch file) before setting Webwatch off on it's
> overnight run. This also means that the output is a huge single file, which can be rather
> unfriendly to check through.
>
>                            Neil Jacobs
> Assistant Librarian (Internet) at the University of Sussex Library
> email:  N.A.Jacobs at sussex.ac.uk  Telephone:  01273 606755 ext 3466
>
> On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:17:04 -0700 Jerry Kuntz wrote:Neil, et al.
	OK, I understand that link checkers that report on links that
have been modified--by date or size--would report "URL HAS MOVED"
messages, but it there a toll that can report ONLY invalid URLS and "URL
HAS MOVED"-typed messages, but NOT all changed sites?
	I maintain a site with over 1000 links, most of which are
dynamic sites that change frequently. I only want to identify the dead
and the moved. So the question remains--is there an automated tool that
can do that?

				Jerry Kuntz
				Electronic Resources Consultant
				Ramapo Catskill Library System