Link Checker

Neil Jacobs N.Jacobs at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Sep 11 13:44:04 EDT 1996

Colleagues,

We've used Webwatch (http://www.specter.com/ww.1.x/products.html)
to help maintain the Pier local University of Sussex gateway (3100 links at present -
found at http://www.susx.ac.uk/library/pier/). As noted in an earlier message,
Webwatch is well reviewed in the Ariadne newsletter
(http://ukoln.bath.ac.uk/ariadne/issue3/autotrack/). It does seem to identify 'document
moved' messages, although I think that the information has to be in the header of the
page concerned for Webwatch to pick it up.

The main problem with it (apart from it being limited to Windows) is that, as far as I
can work out, it requires a single HTML file to check. Hence we have to concatenate the
entire gateway into one file (using a DOS batch file) before setting Webwatch off on it's
overnight run. This also means that the output is a huge single file, which can be rather
unfriendly to check through.

                           Neil Jacobs
Assistant Librarian (Internet) at the University of Sussex Library
email:  N.A.Jacobs at sussex.ac.uk  Telephone:  01273 606755 ext 3466