More on electronic reserves

Boyd R. Collins bcollins at superlink.net
Sat Sep 7 16:09:31 EDT 1996

Bill,

Your well-reasoned and insightful speculations about this evolving area
bring out the key issues involved here.  What exactly is the library's role
in providing access to these documents?  The library is essentially
functioning as a home for a server, which in fact could be housed anywhere.
 On the logical level, though, it would make sense for the intellectual
control to be housed in a central facility where decisions could be made
about copyright and organization of the materials on the server for easy
access by students.

At 11:14 PM 9/5/96 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]
>the sole e-reserve server and maintain that system?  Or should the library
>simply provide a common gateway with links to materials throughout the
>campus and beyond?
>
>I would say that the library should provide a common gateway to those
>materials, but that the materials can be produced and stored anywhere
>throughout the university (or beyond the university...)  There must be a
>mechanism to allow professors to register his/her URL in a database
>maintained by the library, preferably via a web form (the OPAC if it permits
>this functionality, although a simple flat file with Perl scripts will do.)
>
>This has several advantages to producing them in house and  serving them off
>of a library server.  The obvious advantage is production time.  If a
>professor can 'print' a document to produce a pdf  (Acrobat replaces the
>standard print driver.  Producing Acrobat readable files is as simple as
>choosing File->Print from your menu) why should s/he be expected to e-mail
>it to a library to perform the same function?  Let them print it and upload
>it to a server or serve it off of their desktop from their office.
>
>Another advantage is this obviates the need for staff to produce e-reserve
>materials for faculty that are comfortable doing themselves.  This frees
>these people up to evangelize for e-reserves with other faculty and give
>them individualized attention and assistance in production.
>
>A less obvious advantage would be reducing latency time between production
>and availability.  If e-reserve requests are queued and processed at the
>same time daily, or every Wednesday, or only when the moon is full and Venus
>is rising in the east,  there is a lag between when the document should be
>available and when it is actually available.  Allowing the user to register
>the URL makes it immediately available.  If someone places a reserve
>material on a server and registers the URL at 11:00:00 A.M.  the material
>will be available at 11:00:01 A.M.  It is not too much of a jump to envision
>a 'post' and 'remove' field in the form to indicate when a piece would
>become available and when it would no longer be shown.  With some creative
>programming, the amount of human intervention (read staff time and cost) can
>be greatly reduced.
>
>The final advantage has to do with providing new forms of digital
>information.  For example, a professor at Rutgers wanted to make information
>available using a new plug-in from Microsoft(tm).  He was unable to do so
>because the computer center was unwilling to reconfigure the web server to
>handle the new data type.  He went to his 3rd party provider who was happy
>to make the change for him.  The end result, he was able to serve his
>information.  Translating this to the library is not difficult - it allows
>the users to experiment with new methods of presenting information to their
>constituents and to go beyond arbitrary limitations.

All of these are important and valuable points, particularly the ones about
saving staff time and costs.  As long as faculty are willing to learn the
basics of the process and to employ 3rd parties where necessary and
allowable, this process would work.  On the other hand, some might argue
that a more proactive computing center might take on some of these tasks
themselves such as the plug-in example.  However, I think a good argument
has been made that once the elements of centralized access were available
that the system could more or less run itself, as long as there was some
basic oversight to make sure the system was not being abused.

>Please note - I am NOT saying that libraries don't have a role to play in
>e-reserves.  The library web site should be the gateway for registering
>information and it should be the first place that students think to look to
>find their reserve materials.  This has always been a traditional role of
>the library - to make information accessible.  I do think that we need to
>try to be as inclusive as possible in reaching that goal.
>
>I also believe that libraries will have a big role in ensuring the security
>of copyrighted materials that are put into digital format for reserves.  I
>would welcome any ideas on how to make sure we comply with the, at best
>amorphous and at worst draconian, proposals for dealing with digital
>copyright.
>--------------  _-o  -------------------------------------------------
>               `\<,      /                 Bill Crosbie
>               0/ 0     /  \e/             Microcomputer Analyst
> __o              __o  /    I              Chang Science Library
>`\<,             `\<, /    `\\,            Rutgers University
>O/ O             O/ O/     O/ O            v: (908) 932-0305 x 114
>                    /                      f: (908) 932-0311
>                   /                       crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu

Boyd R. Collins
Information Technology Librarian
Alexander Library