Electronic Reserves on the web

Bob Jones bjones at unf.edu
Thu Sep 5 09:50:16 EDT 1996

First, let me clarify:  I never intended that faculty *MUST* bypass the
library,  Brian's *BOTH* discussion is right-on.

While reading Brian's discussion, the following occurred to me:

1.  Maybe libraries should be contacting their campus legal departments
to alert them to the vulnerabilities this situation is conjuring.
Certainly, the libraries should be willing to participate, if asked, at
the campus level (with the computing people, the bookstore(s), Deans,
Directors, Faculty, etc.) to troubleshoot the issue.

2.  To be the viable, logical center for e-reserves libraries must have
the solution installed and available *BEFORE* the need.  If faculty must
wait until the library figures out what they need to do to meet their
needs, the faculty won't wait -- and shouldn't be expected to.

3.  In this day and time, I don't consider the library's catalog to be the
single point of access used by students.  With faculty and students
becoming more and more WWW literate, perhaps the professor's course page
is the single point needed.  Until library catalogs can take a user to its
holdings, *AND* connect to a Web Page, *AND* do a telnet to another
resource, *AND* allow the student to have email discussions with his/her
teacher, then students will probably use their home computers and computer
labs to be the first level of support, and they will use their library's
catalog as but one resource available to them.

I *AM* enjoying this discussion!

Bob Jones                                    mailto://bjones@unf.edu
Head, Public Services Division and Systems Coordinator
University of North Florida Library          http://www.unf.edu/library/
P.O. Box 17605                               (904) 646-2552 (SC 861-2552)
Jacksonville, FL  32245-7605                 FAX: (904) 646-2719
                                             ARIEL: 139.62.208.88