Bottom Line on Electronic Libraries -Reply

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Fri Sep 20 13:41:22 EDT 1996

Margaret's post (and others in that vein) was right on, and another
point is that happily clicking away at a computer does not equal
locating what you are looking for--although people often think so.
 It's a "press here for Internet" mindset (to quote Daniel Dern)...
when we know using search engines, evaluating tools etc is really
important.

We taught a class yesterday that was really a product eval, and in
turn was really a course in evaluating electronic products (but if
we called it that they wouldn't show up).  Folks found it helpful,
new information.  And we were only looking at one product! Our
"how to search the Internet and find what you're looking for"
classes are a huge hit, and sometimes people repeat the class!

ye olde pedagogy is an increasingly critical competency for
today's librarians--in part because we know that there's more to it
than punching URLS in the open box on Netscape!

K. Schneider/opinions mine alone