Specs for an ideal public library web browser

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Sep 20 07:53:36 EDT 1996

> A simple-to-install-and-configure, public-library-oriented browser
> still seems a desirable product to me.

Over the last two days, I've heard one of our vendors talk several times
about Larry Ellison-style Network Computers as low cost, low maintenance,
plug-it-in-and-it-works alternatives for PCs as public workstations.
Presumably a browser running on a non-PC would keep users out of a lot of
the local trouble (i.e. access to the OS and local hard drives) that we're
currently worried about.

'Course, since this category of products can only just barely be said to
exist, I'm not holding my breath.  Regrets to Alejandro, who needed it
yesterday.  :-)

Thomas Dowling / tdowling at ohiolink.edu / http://www.ohiolink.edu/
Ohio Library and Information Network. Please do not perpetuate the GOOD
TIMES virus hoax, started in 11/4 and circulating again in 9/96.  Refer
to: http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/notes/Notes04c.shtml