Web tool vs. straight HTML

A. Helfman samsa at quasar.Wittenberg.EDU
Wed Sep 18 10:40:49 EDT 1996

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Rebecca Rector wrote:

> I am now working on the web page for my company, as the person who was doing
> this has left.  He was using MS Frontpage.  I cannot use this as I don't
> have W'95, and I basically learned to work with straight HTML.
>
> Question: Is there an advantage to working with an HTML authoring tool?  He
> mentioned that there was, but didn't have time to explain before he left.

	The webmaster at our site recently asked that content-providers
*not* use WYSIWYG editors like Frontpage; he was receiving error-filled
documents from people who couldn't see the HTML with which they were
working.  I have been happy using HotDog standard; it's non-WYSIWYG,
allows you to work with both standard HTML and whatever proprietary
extensions you choose, and it's inexpensive.  It automates the coding
process without distorting your view of the code, IMO.  I've also used
HotMetal Pro, but I thought it was cumbersome, and it only allows you to
use standard HTML.  I don't like software that makes choices for me!  ;->

Amy W. Helfman (samsa at quasar.wittenberg.edu)
Reference Librarian
Thomas Library, Wittenberg University (http://www.wittenberg.edu/lib/)
http://www.albany.edu/~helfman