Telnet apps for Netscape/WIN95 setup

Bin Zhang bzhang at lama112.kcc.hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 10 02:12:12 EDT 1996

Alejandro Garza Gonzalez writes:
 > I'd say WinQVT 3.98 's Telnet client offers the best solution IMO for
 > public access workstations-- it doesn't offer too many menus for the user
 > to fiddle with (you can write-protect the settings file to fix them
 > permanently too), it has a no-clutter interface (no button toolbar to get
 > in the way), has a right-on emulation for vt100, vt220 and ANSI, and can
 > be run from Netscape via its TNSTART.EXE 'helper' app.
 >
 > The minus side is that it must always be running in the background;
 > TNSTART only communicates to WinQVT that it should launch its telnet
 > client.
 >
 > If you use Flute to hide the Program Manager and other windows, it's pretty
 > bullet-proof. (see the web4lib ref. center, "Netscape Timeout for
 > Windows").

For Windows 95, why not get the win95 version of qvtnet?  I think the
current version is 4.0 (qvtnet40.zip or something like that).  You
simply configure netscape to point to term.exe in the qvtnet folder.
It supports vt102/vt220/vt52, and supports rlogin.

You can get it at ftp://papa.indstate.edu/winsock-l.

good luck!

Bin Zhang <bzhang at Hawaii.Edu>         4303 Diamond Head Road
Automation/Reference Librarian        Honolulu, HI 96816
Kapiolani Community College           Phone: (808) 734-9254
University of Hawaii                  Fax:   (808) 734-9453