[Fwd: Re: hiring librarians] (fwd) -Reply

Dan Lester dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu
Sun Sep 8 15:15:28 EDT 1996

>>> Roy Tennant <rtennant at library.berkeley.edu> 08/26/96
09:49am >>>
I couldn't help but chuckle when I discovered that a document
entitled  "Competencies for Special Librarians of the 21st
Century" is not only not  online, but is not expected to be
online for at least some little while.  I guess we're still at the
stage where we can see where we want to go,  but we
haven't climbed in the car yet.
Roy Tennant
--------------------------------
My first guess would be because SLA knows how to sell
books, and not information.  OTOH, a Board Document is a
different thing, and ought to be available on the web.  Of
course I've never seen an SLA web server....though I've seen
a few of their generally not-very-good lists.  NOTE: I'm just
stating my personal opinion, and am NOT flaming SLA.  As a
long time (but not current, as there is no nearby chapter, the
best reason for joining SLA) SLA supporter, and frequent
member (and even officer long ago), this seems typical of
SLA.

dan