LayerCake(sm): Library Applications of Concept Maps

Gerry McKiernan JL.GJM at ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU
Fri Sep 6 14:17:24 EDT 1996

                       LayerCake(sm)
            Library Applications of Concept Maps

  For a planned review and clearinghouse, I am interested in
projects, prototypes and products that have applied Concepts
to the organization of Library resources or services.

  Concept Maps are visually displays of resource sets that
share features, content or other attributes. The premier example
of the Concept Map approach is that currently in development
by Chen and colleagues at the University of Arizona for the
Illinois Digital Library Initiative.  A brief description of this
project, as well as other Concept Map applications, are included
with Project Aristotle(sm), my clearinghouse devoted to projects,
research, products and services devoted to 'automated categorization'
of Web resources. Project Aristotle(sm) is accessible at the following
         http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Aristotle.htm

  I am particularly interested in efforts that are considering the
use of Concept Maps as the visual display of standard classification
systems (e.g.Dewey, LC, UDC) or projects that are investigating the
use of Concept Maps as an _alternative_ to conventional library
classification schemes for providing organized access to Web/Net
resources.

  As resources are identified and reviewed they will be profiled
at the following URL

       http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/LayerCake.htm

  As always, any and all suggestions or leads are very much appreciated.

  Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University