WYSIWYG web authoring tool

DEANNE LUCK LUCKDL at APSU01.APSU.EDU
Fri Sep 6 13:18:46 EDT 1996

I have also chosen GNNPress as the best free WYSIWYG HTML editor for
our campus.  For people who have no idea what HTML coding *is*, much
less how to write it, I find it works to explain GNNPress as analogous
to WordPerfect, with "Show HTML" being similar to "Reveal Codes" in WP.

I have not explored the web management features - if you're willing, I'd
like some more details.

You can easily change the background colors and textures by using
Format, Body Attributes.  I have found very few elements/features that
I must code by hand.

I'm not affiliated with GNN in any way - I just think it's a good editor
for the price (free).

DeAnne Luck
Electronic Resources Librarian & Webster
Austin Peay State University
LuckDL at apsu01.apsu.edu

From:	IN%"alex_fayle at oma.org"  6-SEP-1996 10:14:32.27

     Last week I downloaded a free WYSIWYG web authoring tool that has
     turned out to be one of
     the best tools I've ever used. It's called GNNPress (you can find the
     site through the link below).

     It has it's own web management aspect which shows you links and other
     documents in a
     folder/directory. With this tool, I have found that I can set up a
     site conceptually, add the links in
     and then slowly add the pages without having to worry that I've got
     everything. GNNPress will
     tell me if I have or not.

     One of the best aspects of this tool is that I can get information
     producers to create or edit
     templates with no HTML knowledge necessary. We have certain documents
     that get produced
     every day (newswire postings, etc). By giving the author of that
     document a template and simple
     instructions, she can create a new web page every day, and I will not
     have to monitor her work.

     There are a few drawbacks to this tool: If you want to create fancier
     pages, you will likely have to
     go into the source and edit it directly (definitely if you want
     background colour or textures).
     The web management documents do not print well, so you cannot use the
     tool to produce reports
     for others, explaining how the site is structured.
     The web management aspect creates a separate "links" document for each
     folder/directory, so all
     directory/file structure work will have to be done manually first and
     then transfered to computer.

     But for being a free tool, I will put up with these small annoyances.
     The tool is only in version 1.1
     (with a beta 1.2 available), so I fully expect things to improve over
     time.

     GNN also provides server software that allows the webmaster to
     restrict author access to certain
     documents. If you are interested in setting up a decentralized
     Intranet, such a tool would be
     worthwhile as a control mechanism.

     BTW, I am in no way connected to GNN and was quite wary of the
     software at first - "Why is
     this free?" ran through my head. "There must be something wrong with
     it." But for an Intranet
     without any financial support, GNNPress is an excellent development
     tool.

     Here is the GNNPress site:

          http://www.tools.gnn.com/index.html