Multilanguage Plug-in Software

Marilyn Fransiszyn, Library Instruction FRANSISZ at LIB1.Lan.McGill.CA
Thu Oct 31 21:54:56 EST 1996

> Date sent:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 10:32:57 -0700
> Send reply to:  hye_ok_park at csufresno.edu
> From:           Hye Ok Park <hye_ok_park at csufresno.edu>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject:        Multilanguage Plug-in Software

> We offer access to international newspapers from our web page and
> would like to obtain plug-in type of software to facilitate proper
> displys for various language character sets.  I would appreciate
> suggestions from anyone who has expriences in using them.  We run
> Netscape 2.0 or 3.0 on a Sun/Solaris server.  Thanks. -- Hye Ok Park,
> California State University, Fresno

I don't know if this quite answers your needs, but just two
days ago in the business section of our local paper, the
Montreal Gazette, there was a feature article on a Montreal
company called Alis Technologies which has produced a
browser called Tango "that runs in 19 languages and allows
users to read Web sites whose content is in any of 90
languages. The 19 interface languages include ... Chinese
and Japanese .. and Arabic and Hebrew." The article goes on
to say "Tango's strength is that all of its languages are
in one package that can be used on just about any computer
system, anywere in the world." It is claimed to be
compatible with both Netscape and Microsoft browsers. The
company is placing ads in Wired and on Pointcast. The
article says that "individual internauts can buy a ccopy of
Tango for about $40." It says a "long-delayed" Macintosh
version is expected before the end of the year. The article
is accompanied by a colour picture of the home page of the
Yuan-Ze Institute of Technology in Chinese "as seen with
Alis's Tango software."
      |*                        from                        *|
      |*                Marilyn Fransiszyn                  *|
      |*            Library Instruction/Reference           *|
       | Humanities & Social Sciences Library, McGill Univ. |
       |          3459 McTavish Street, Room RM-29          |
      |*          Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1Y1          *|
      |*      Tel: 514-398-5030      Fax: 514-398-7184      *|
      |*FRANSISZ at LIB1.LAN.MCGILL.CA    ADMF at MUSICA.MCGILL.CA*|