(Fwd) Packard Bell commercial -Reply -Reply

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Wed Oct 30 12:58:15 EST 1996

Welll, I agree with Michael here, too, that "I don't need PB
reinforcing a bad stereotype."  My points yesterday were, first,
that libraries need to wonder how these stereotypes
arise--unfortunately, we all know that in a profession without
standards there are some libraries that shame  us all--and second,
that there is no defense like a good offense.
Librarians-From-Hell is the sort of internal question to deal with
inside librarianship.  Externally, from the big-picture,
take-the-long-view perspective, it is probably wiser to present a
united front, and I am sorry I did not make that point yesterday.
Self-doubt and introspection have their place,  but when folks
belittle us it is probably time to take out our very large hammers
and go to work, using these as opportunities to present us in more
positive light.  (Among ourselves  we can privately agree that we
have our fair share of bottom-feeders, and discuss what we plan
to do about this.)  As individual cases arise, we can give kudos
(Wishbone, Party Girl) or raspberries (Packard Bell).

I sent the following message to PB:

"This is a personal note to say I find your new commercials
insulting and misleading about libraries and librarians.  I will NOT
buy your product, and I will encourage others NOT to buy your
product.  You owe our profession an apology.  We don't run ads
denigrating computer companies--you shouldn't do the same to
us."

I wouldn't buy a PB computer anyway, but that is another story.  :)
 And I do believe an ad campaign touting librarianship would be
helpful--and not just for folks OUTSIDE librarianship, either.

K. Schneider/opinions mine alone