Web-database connection

Pete Basofin pbasofin at inreach.com
Wed Oct 30 12:24:40 EST 1996

Patrick Frisbie wrote:

> Of the three products you mentioned Cold Fusion is your best choice.
> Both DBWeb and and the Internet Database Connector are stop-gap products
> for Microsoft (DBWeb was purchased by MS) until MS can roll out their
> ActiveX server-side technologies.  I have extensive experience with Cold
> Fusion and I have found it to be far more productive than writing
> C++/SQL applications.  Typical of a 4GL, Cold Fusion is not as flexible
> as C++ but I rarely find its limitations getting in my way.  Also, it
> has a SMTP interface that will solve your email notification requirement
> quite nicely (say 10 lines of code).
>
> The key to your application will be your choice of DBMS.  Cold Fusion
> uses ODBC, so you have a lot of options.  You may be tempted to use
> Access, but if response time is an issue you should go with something
> robust like MS SQL Server.  If a 2-5 seconds response time on a page
> load (not counting the download time) is acceptable, then use Access.

I've used Cold Fusion successfully with Access databases. But we found
that CF would not work with Oracle 7. Alliare was unable to tell us why
CF couldn't make an ODBC connection to the Oracle db when Access did.
They kept telling us it was Oracle's fault, but clearly it is a CF
problem. Now that we're using the NT 4.0 web server, we had to switch to
dbWeb because the current version of CF won't work with NT 4.0. dbWeb is
okay but does have a number of limitations. For one, it doesn't allow
for a boolean argument on a single field. That's quite a limit for
libraries.

BTW, I'm still having trouble getting Oracle 7 to work, this time with
dbWeb. We must not have the right Oracle driver. Anyone suggest what to
use for a 32-bit ODBC connection? And where to get it?

Pete Basofin
--
pbasofin at inreach.com (home) pbasofin at sacbee.com (office)
http://home.inreach.com/pbasofin/ (Personal Page)