New CCUMC multimedia Fair Use guidelines

Prentiss Riddle riddle at is.rice.edu
Fri Oct 25 10:09:58 EDT 1996

> Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:04:07 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Edupage Editors <educom at elanor.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Edupage, 24 October 1996

> AGREEMENT REACHED ON FAIR USE OF ELECTRONIC MULTIMEDIA
> A committee of educators and publishers, sponsored by the Consortium of
> College & University Media Centers, has developed a set of "fair use"
> guidelines for professors and students who want to use copyrighted material
> in CD-ROMs and multimedia projects.  The new guidelines set limits on the
> amount of a copyrighted work that "reasonably" may be used -- for example,
> 10 percent or 30 seconds, whichever is less, of an individual musical work.
> Limits are also set on the number of copies that professors or students can
> make of their newly created CD-ROMs or videos.  Schools that want to use
> such works in distance learning programs must restrict access to students
> enrolled in the class through use of passwords or other technologies.  More
> than a dozen academic and industry groups have endorsed the guidelines, and
> further support is being sought.  (Chronicle of Higher Education 25 Oct 96
> A28)

I believe I've found the guidelines themselves at:

	http://www.libraries.psu.edu/avs/fairuse/fairuse.html

Does anyone know if there is any organized opposition to these
guidelines from advocates for a wider interpretation of Fair Use?  In
my opinion, the restrictions on non-password-restricted electronic
distribution are particularly galling.  I haven't followed the
institutional politics of the Fair Use debate, but the list of
endorsing organizations seems to lack any library involvement.  Is the
ALA holding out for something better?

-- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") riddle at rice.edu
-- RiceInfo Administrator, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle
-- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.