FTP File-Naming Conventions

Daniel Albano (1) danielt1 at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Wed Oct 23 12:09:52 EDT 1996

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Diane Madrigal wrote:

> I am looking for information on naming conventions for FTP files.  I know
> that there are standard extensions used to indicate the document's format,
> but I'm only aware of a few of the more basic ones (e.g. .txt for ASCII
> text, .pdf for Acrobat Adobe, .w61 for WordPerfect 6.1).  Can someone
> point me to a more comprehensive list?

	I don't believe that there are any "naming" conventions
	for "FTP files".  The conventions for file names depend,
	in general, on the originating system.  Thus, a .COM file
	from an MSDOS system is an executable binary file; a .COM
	file from a VMS system is a DCL file; a .ini file from
	an MSDOS system may be a windows startup file or a Kermit
	initialization script...

	Note that not all ASCII text files are the same, either.

	- Daniel

Daniel Albano                           daniel at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Computer Services                       +1 416 395 5907

"Views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
the position of the North York Public Library."