Database of databases -Reply

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at epamail.epa.gov
Wed Oct 23 11:10:42 EDT 1996

Have to concur with Bob Terry ...

I'm wondering if anyone has looked at InMagic's DBTextworks
webserver.  We use DBTextworks (the database, or as they call
it "textbase," not the webserver product) for our shelflist, serials
check-in and collection-development tools.  Imho, it isn't ideal for
these purposes (the DOS-based MARC--> Inmagic adaptor is a
stunning example of something they should be upgrading but
aren't) but a) it's in place and b) I grudgingly admire its
text-searching and retrieval capabilities, as well as batch
modifications, global this and that, etc..  In other words, I wonder
if it isn't really suited for the Web environment first and foremost.
The webserver product promises to generate html from database
files, help you do global and batch mods, annotate images, et etc
and "rapid and precise searching" (I concur with this last
comment, based on the product we use).

Soooo, anyone?  I believe more info is at http://www.inmagic.com

cheers

Karen G. Schneider/opinions mine alone