Network Security

Timothy G. Kambitsch kambitsch at dayton.lib.oh.us
Tue Oct 22 19:15:48 EDT 1996

I am curious as to which applications people launching from the SERVER when
they user Windows NT clients for public workstations. We are currently
Win95 workstations don't have to
log-on to a server.  This has been okay as we have just started deploying
our first systems, but I worry about how we
are going to upgrade hundreds of workstations in the future.

Ideally I would like all of our public machines to be void of user
applications and once connected to the network all applications are loaded
from our NT Server's diskspace.

We use:
	Netscape 3.0
		Adobe Acrobat
		Real Audio
	CRT (terminal emulation)
	Electric Library
	NoveList
	Everybody's menu

As to connecting to a server. I would like to find a way to have
NT clients or even Win95 clients automatically login to a "guest"
or "public" account on the server without the user seeing a
network login dialog box.  Back in my Win 3.11/Novell days we used
to script it into the autoexec.bat file, but noone here can seem
to figure out a similar technique with an NT server.

>When last we looked at the question of securing public access
>workstations, we concluded that Windows 95 was too difficult
>and uncertain to secure.  We have thus decided to use Windows NT
>for such locations.
>
>- Daniel

Tim Kambitsch <mailto://kambitsch@dayton.lib.oh.us>
Dayton and Montgomery County Public Library                   513-227-9560
215 East Third Street Dayton OH 45402                   fax:  513-227-9524