Adobe Acrobat and HTML

Bob Long bob at mail.esrl.lib.md.us
Tue Oct 22 16:04:34 EDT 1996

At 12:28 PM 10/22/96 -0700, David Risner wrote:

>Indenting and white space can easily be done with HTML, no need for PDF.
>PDF however forces colors upon the reader.  I, for one, cannot read screens
>with white backgrounds.  As soon as one comes up on the screen, my nose
>starts running and I get intense pain in my eyes.  With HTML and Netscape, I
>can force the colors to be ones which I can read without pain.  (I know of
>quite a few other people with the same problem).  I know other people who
>have to have very high contrast between the background and foreground.  A
>white background with black letters is best for them.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my other post. I don't use PDF, I just try to add
some good design qualities to my HTML.
        White is still the best all-around background available for text.
There is no other color in the Netscape palette that offers the same amount
of legibility. People with 16 million colors can be more selective, and I
encourage them to set the background on their browsers to a color that is
comfortable for them.

>Font size: some people, like me, like the fonts small to see more at a time.
>Some people need the fonts big to read them.

True. Still the human eye works best at 10-12 words per line. Any more and
they have to work harder to come back and catch the left margin. I always
use a left margin of between 1/5 and 1/4 of the main body of my document.
And I set the right margin so the word count comes out right with standard
fonts. That's the best I can offer my readers.
        Some day, hopefully, this will all become standardized.

Bob