Database of databases

Thomas H. Hahn hahn at gw.sino.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Oct 22 20:15:34 EDT 1996

Dear colleagues,

perhaps this topic has been discussed before (I am a newcomer to the
list, so please forgive me), but we (a small group of Sinologists) are planning
to compile a catalog (or database, if you want) of digitised resources
(mainly fulltext databases) concerning China, so we are looking for a suitable
format and medium to do just that.
The idea is not only to (gather and) supply information about the who,
how (much) and other technical specifications of such databases, but also
 to incorporate this information into a medium that allows to connect to
these sites right away.

We realize that this could be done fairly easy simply by constructing a web
site giving all these infos in html format. However, the point is that the OCLC
project of cataloging  "the net" is not done that way (so we
heard), but, rather, the information is stored in, well, in what? Perhaps it is
MARC (USMARC, UNIMARC) they use, a medium that may provide all
the tags to actually describe the digital media itself. Our
problem is that I do not want to re-invent the wheel and that we do want
to be compatible to related projects (if there are any) in what we do.
So if there is any project going on in this respect we could
learn from we would be most grateful to hear about it.

What we have is a flexible piece of library software (PC
and UNIX-version), allowing information to be accessed in
HTML form. We also have two SUN sparc servers. What we
don't have is the format and the experience.
Any suggestions are welcome.

       Thomas H. Hahn
  University of Heidelberg
Institut for Chinese Studies