Netscape "Enterprise Server" and "Proxy 1.12"

Mack Lundy mack at mail.swem.wm.edu
Wed Oct 9 08:12:25 EDT 1996

At 05:11 PM 10/8/96 -0700, Hillel wrote:
>A company that is going to help us set up our Library server has told us
>that they will include Netscape Enterprise server software and Netscape
>Proxy 1..12. (at a cost of about $500 each.)  I've heard that Netscape
>makes most of their software available free to educational institutions,
>but I'm not sure about these. Contacting netscape to get answers about
>anything usually isn't very successful, so I'm wondering if anyone has
>knowledge about these two programs and their cost/availability to
>educational sites.

We are using the Netscape Enterprise Server.  We were quoted an educational
cost of $195.  Annual support is $399.  Although we could have used the
server without a license, we wanted the documentation and support.  We are
running it on a SUN UNIX box but I don't think platform matters.  It is a
nice product, fairly easy to set up and manage.

I don't know for sure about the Proxy Server although Netscape tends to
price everything the same for education.

Mack

Mack A. Lundy III			e-mail:  mack at mail.swem.wm.edu
Library Systems Manager			voice:   804.221.3114
Swem Library				fax:     804.221.2635
College of William and Mary
P.O. Box 8795
Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795