NT 4.0: server or workstation?

GJohnson at lmumail.lmu.edu GJohnson at lmumail.lmu.edu
Mon Oct 7 21:44:12 EDT 1996

     I am interested in the practical issues involved in choosing between
     Windows NT 4.0 Server vs. Workstation as the OS for our web server.
     I'd particularly like to hear from anyone else who has recently chosen
     one way or the other. Any discussions about the avariciousness of
     Microsoft are icing on the cake.

     In early August there were discussions here and elsewhere about
     Microsoft's limit of ten users accessing a machine running NT 4.0
     Workstation, with the limitation first being enforced through the
     software, then "only" through the licensing agreement.

     Now, two months later, I have read the ongoing discussion on the
     O'Reilly & Associates site until my head hurts. For a small site that
     has *never* had ten simultaneous users, should we plunk down the extra
     $700 for Server? That is what our campus IS department wants us to do.
     If we chose Workstation, any suggestions on web server software? I
     think that O'Reilly would just as soon we chose Website, which has
     indeed been well reviewed. The two things that people might suggest
     that aren't options for various reasons are: 1) wait for the dust to
     settle and 2) UNIX.

     Thanks in advance for any tips or opinions.

     --Glenn

     Glenn Johnson-Grau                         gjohnson at lmumail.lmu.edu
     Networked Resources/Reference Librarian               (310)338-6063
     Loyola Marymount University
     7900 Loyola Blvd.
     Los Angeles, CA 90045