text browser availability for "primitive" PCs?

Miriam Bobkoff mbobkoff at rt66.com
Mon Oct 7 14:22:50 EDT 1996

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996 sshone at dewey.pub-lib.ci.arlington.tx.us wrote:

>    Do you know of a place on the Internet where we might be able to
> download Lynx or another text based browser for my patron.  He has
> been calling all week and I haven't been able to give him an intelligent
> answer.  Everything I read about Lynx says that it was written to use
> on a Vax system.  Does that mean that it won't work on a home PC?  Or
> is there another text based browser??  The patron has a 286 with a
> 14.4 modem and windows 3.1.  He has a black and white monitor.

How is this patron connecting to the Net? It sounds like he must have a
SLIP or PPP account, which--IMHO--is overkill for text needs. If he has a
shell account with an ISP, odds are the provider is running lynx, and all
he'd need to do is dial in and call it up. (Lynx is presumably not
VAX-specific, because my ISP is running it on some sort of UNIX system.)

I'll spare you my Song of Praise for Lynx, but I use my shell account
most of the time, only bother with Netscape if I want more than verbal
content: a satellite image, or momentarily to see what it is the rest of
the world is seeing. Lynx is fast, flexible, does everything except the
razzle-dazzle. And you never see the banner ads :-) .

Miriam Bobkoff                         mbobkoff at rt66.com
Santa Fe Public Library
    Miriam's Home Page  http://www.rt66.com/~mbobkoff/
    The Library's  http://www.rt66.com/~mbobkoff/sfpl/